Smart tool to protect public transport revenues, assets, passengers and mobility
AWAAIT has developed DETECTOR, a pioneering system that combines artificial vision and mobile technologies to tackle fare-dodging on public transport.
Using AI-ML algorithms, a camera above the ticket barrier sends an alert to inspectors’ smartphones when it detects fare-dodging. The system sends a sequence of images within 3 seconds, enabling controllers to react rapidly. The outcome of each inspection is also fed back to the system so that other inspectors can see it in real time, allowing for coordinated ticket checks. Overall, inspections can be very selective and checks on paying passengers are drastically reduced.
DETECTOR has already been given specific international recognition by the UITP (International Association of Public Transport), as one of the four global innovation finalists in the ‘Operational and Technical Excellence’ biannual UITP Awards (Milan, June 2015). Moreover, the project has received European Commission funding through an H2020 SME Instrument grant.
DETECTOR is in use in five stations on the regional and commuter train line operated in Barcelona by FGC (Ferrocarrils de la Generalitat de Catalunya) and is being trialed abroad.
If you are interested in trialling DETECTOR, please contact us at email@example.com
- Drastic reduction in fare evasion at entrances to mass transit systems (metro, train)
- Accurate detection of fare-dodging and selective checks that:
- minimize inconveniences to fare-paying passengers
- allow for leaner and faster inspection teams
- are applicable during rush hours, without slowing passenger flow
- Continuous real-time statistics to improve ticket inspection tactics